Monday, June 3, 2019

This Week's Sneak Peek

Saturday's post included a cartoon by a "J. Thomas" that appeared in the Bend Bulletin of Bend, Oregon, on June 20, 1919. I credited the cartoon to the Bulletin, even though it was a small newspaper in a small town that seems unlikely (but not inconceivably so) to have had its own editorial cartoonist.

Looking through several issues of the Bulletin from that year, I found no other editorial cartoonists' work on its pages (it did run one comic strip), and I have found Mr. Thomas' cartoons in no other newspaper. I have yet to run across one J. Thomas cartoon about state or local issues; he does, however, seem to have shown a good deal of interest in rural issues. He may therefore have drawn for a news service that supplied content for little rural papers like the Bulletin.

If anyone knows anything about J. Thomas, please let me know in the comments. I've got another of his cartoons pegged for a Saturday post in a few weeks, and I'd like to be able to credit his work correctly.

No comments:

Post a Comment