![]() |
| Display along a stairway at the Citizen Hotel in Sacramento |
I was at the last convention of the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists this past weekend, so I had to draw this week's upcoming cartoon before I left. Given the peripatetic nature of the attention-starved lunatic at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, it ain't easy coming up with political cartoons that are guaranteed to be relevant over a week in advance.
The annual National Coming Out Day is coming up on October 11, so I figured I might as well draw something about it in time for the monthlies that run my cartoons.
As for the convention, it was the AAEC's last.
In light of the impending Death of Print, heralded by the Death of the Editorial Page, we voted to change the organizational name to the Association of Political Artists. Young people these days have never even seen an editorial page, and certainly don't produce cartoons for them.
We had considerable discussion over whether "APA" is too broad, and whether something more specific is needed to disqualify, say, presidents of the United States who post videos of themselves dropping tons of shit from an Air Force bomber.
On the other hand, as anyone who has struggled to remember all the letters in LGBTQIAA2SDLNBKR2QKn4PXEIEIO+ could tell you, it is nearly impossible to find a functional balance between specificity and inclusivity.



No comments:
Post a Comment