Thursday, January 26, 2023

Q Toon: Apology Intercepted

Anyone who lives with a cat, or has visited someone who does, will know where I'm coming from.

It seems that ex-NFL coach, current NBC Sports commentator Tony Dungy tweeted and deleted a wisecrack repeating the popular right-wing fiction that there is are school districts somewhere in the U.S. that have installed litter boxes in school restrooms for the benefit of students who identify as cats.

It's a dog whistle slur against transgender and queer youth, so activists pounced on Dungy as if he were a laser pointer dot on the floor.

Dungy's apology must have gotten deleted along with his original tweet, but he had a screengrab of it to post in a later tweet explaining that the people continuing attacks against him must not have seen it.

This past week I posted a tweet that I subsequently deleted. I issued an apology but not everyone saw it. So I am reposting my apology here. As a Christian I want to be a force for love to everyone. A force for healing and reconciliation-not for animosity. pic.twitter.com/esew5wjUyD

We can debate whether or not this is another example of transpeople who can't take a joke; given the rise in murders and legislative assaults against transgender people in the past several years, one can understand how that community might have a diminished sense of humor.

Sitting down to prepare for this week's cartoons, I whipped off a hasty caricature of Mr. Dungy in my sketchbook that I was rather pleased with.


The meme cat took a few more tries.

No comments:

Post a Comment