Friday, January 13, 2023

God Calling Yeti

At the church where I work weekdays, I have been asked to come up with a logo to publicize an upcoming "Freezin' for a Reason" fund raiser.

The pastor there has done this a couple times before: camping outdoors on the church lawn to raise money for the food pantry / free breakfast program that operates at the church (and also toward eventual repair of the church's moonscape of a parking lot). He has been joined by a couple members of the city council and county board, and they have raised a respectable sum in the past.

This year, the church council wants to include some "family-friendly" activities, so the suggestion to me was to come up with something more "family-friendly" than last year's sketch of a homeless person in winter. Their idea this year was to use a picture of a yeti, maybe holding a bag to go along with a "fill the bag with food" slogan.

I could google a drawing, they told me, or else a photo of a real one.

You may laugh, but if you google "yeti," Google will come up with plenty of photos of real ones.

Available in taupe, white, blue, green, and black.

My second search yielded several iterations of that one photo of a supposed sasquatch lumbering through the edge of the woods somewhere. They included pictures showing the exact same creature, but whiter and with a snowier background.

I tried basing a drawing on that image, but wasn't pleased with any of the versions that I came up with. One of the main problems was having the creature carrying a sack. It didn't seem to work in either hand. Or paw, whatever.

So, since this was supposed to be "family-friendly" anyway, I reached instead for the most family-friendly yeti I know of: the abominable snowman in the 1964 animated TV rendition of "Rudolph, the Red-Nose Reindeer."


Terribly derivative, I know. Had to keep it recognizable.

tjugondag Knut körs julen ut!

No comments:

Post a Comment