Monday, July 8, 2024

This Week's Sneak Peek

One side note that I hadn't been able to work into Saturday's round-up of cartoons about the second week of the Democrats' 1924 national convention was that President Coolidge's 16-year-old son, Calvin Jr., died that Monday. While playing tennis on the White House lawn, young Calvin contracted blood poisoning from a blister and succumbed to a staph infection.

I could have included any of the cartoons commiserating the president's sorrow, but the post already had more cartoons than usual. None of the sympathy cartoons really stood out from the others, anyway.

During a political convention, cartoonists' attention tends to focus on the party throwing the party. The death of Coolidge's son tended to dissuade cartoonists from drawing cartoons of the president either enjoying the Democrats' difficulties, or of Coolidge and Davis facing off immediately upon the nomination being finally settled.

In the aftermath of last week's gawdawful presidential (for lack of a better word) debate (ditto), I'm somewhat in a bind. I draw my cartoons days before they get published, in newspapers and magazines that will be on their newsstands for a week or more after that. With the mainstream media drumbeat that Democrats may or may not pressure President Biden to drop out, I'm finding it hazardous to come up with any cartoon about the presidential race that might not have any shelf life to it.

We'll see how this week's cartoon holds up.

By the way, the cartoon I posted on Friday seems to be unusually popular. Maybe. Blogger reports to me that it has about six times the number of hits of the average cartoon I post, although Blogger only tells me that those extra hits are coming from "Other."

Could just be those thousands of bots that used to be in Singapore but have lately moved to Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment