Monday, February 28, 2022

This Week's Sneak Peek

I heard on the TV this morning that February 28 is National Tooth Fairy Day, the day that we salute the magical little being who flies all over the world collecting children's baby teeth for whatever nefarious plan she has been devising all these years. Genetic experiments, probably, or creating a DNA database on us.

This is one of those fluff stories the news anchor can read to lighten the mood after telling you about the latest local murder and the war in Ukraine, to make you feel he/she is friendly and relatable. If it had been a slow news day, the station might even have sent a reporter to stand outside a dentist's office.

What struck me in the report was that the current average price for a baby tooth these days is $5.36. 

Talk about inflation! I realize (more and more every day) that I'm just an old fogey, but back in my day, you young whippersnappers, the tooth fairy gave us a dime per tooth! One thin dime!

And we liked it!

If you ask me, the kids to-day are making off like vulture capitalists. Back in the olden days, a dime could get you a couple sticks of Bazooka Joe bubble gum or a decent sized candy bar. And who cared, because you were going to lose your baby teeth anyway and the sugar would just speed up the process and voilá! More dimes!

I haven't bought Bazooka Joe bubble gum in over half a century, but I'm pretty sure you can still get an awful lot of it for $5.36, assuming they still make the stuff. Heck, even if they don't, you can probably still buy a respectable pocketful of it on eBay.

Mark my words, like the gum, this baby tooth bubble is bound to burst one of these days; and when it does, I can only pity the poor five-year-olds who are left holding the bag of worthless enamel at the time.

Well, anyway, here's a pencil rough for this week's cartoon.

Gawd, I hope that's not the tooth fairy.

No comments:

Post a Comment