Monday, August 12, 2024

This Week's Sneak Peek

Another pesky computer issue popped up (literally) last week, and since I don't seem to get Adobe Incorporated's attention by complaining directly to them, I'm gonna go ahead and post it here.

A pop-up warning started appearing on my screen claiming to have detected unauthorized Adobe software on my computer.


In every respect, the warning behaves like every scam warning that has ever sought to infect one's computer.

It doesn't address me by name or account. It refuses to get out of the way, remaining in front of whatever else I am doing. It cannot be closed; only the "Learn more" link works, opening up a new browser. And most suspect of all, the warning gives no indication which Adobe app is allegedly suspect.

Like you, I have any number of Adobe programs on my computer. There's Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Creative Cloud, and Adobe Application Manager on the desktop, plus a bunch of other Adobe programs lurking in the shadows.

And of course, I also have Adobe Photoshop CS5, for which I paid big money to Adobe twelve years ago so that I could save my cartoons in CMYK format (a utility not available in plain old everyday Photoshop).

My strong suspicion is that it's that expensive Photoshop CS5 program that Adobe (if that is your real name!) wants me to uninstall so that I can start renting a new download of it instead.

Well, I'm not the only person who has had this nuisance show up. One of those Adobe programs lurking in the shadows is "Adobe Genuine Software Integrity Service," and there are any number of on-line bulletin boards about how to turn it off. It does turn itself back on if you don't uninstall it; but from what I've read, Adobe will sneak it back onto your computer as soon as they discover that it's missing.

Ooops, I probably have said too much....

No comments:

Post a Comment