Monday, August 29, 2022

This Week's Sneak Peek

Um, well, no. 

To be honest and up front, this ain't from this week's syndicate cartoon. I swiped this from The Brand New Monty Python Papperbok ("Triffic" — I. Nastase). But it does illustrate my frustration trying to draw one of the hands in this week's oeuvre.

I was up drawing very late last night; the topic I originally intended to draw about hadn't gelled into any original cartoon, so I gave up and started thinking about a completely different topic sometime around 9:00 p.m. or so. It took at least another hour before I had anything worth putting pencil to bristol board, and another half hour fine tuning the faces of the two persons in the cartoon (one of whom had to appear in three separate panels).

A four-panel cartoon doesn't leave much space for drawing bodies, but including hands in the frame goes a long way toward depicting someone's expressions. Most people, not just Italians, talk with their hands as much as their mouths. So I drew five hands in the cartoon.

But one of them just wouldn't come out right.

So this morning, I spread white-out over the offending hand, looked for something helpful in Cartooning the Head & Figure, went back and forth between mirror and drawing board, penciled something better in the margin of the cartoon, and did my best to copy it in ink on top of the white-out.

And ended up photoshopping it out of the finished cartoon anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment