Friday, January 3, 2020

1989 in Review

Hey, since I devoted several posts last year to cartoons from 1989, here's the photo I took at that year's end of 1989's newspaper headlines.
Careful readers may notice a magazine headline that was repeated in my 2019 photo.
P.S.: I've commented several times about how it is getting more and more difficult to assemble newspapers for these photographs. Today provides a sterling example.

On the morning after the Trump administration intentionally assassinated the top military official of a foreign, sovereign state against whom we have not declared war, while he was in a neighboring country in which we have troops stationed (and what about the Kurds?), without consulting anyone in Congress or any one of our NATO allies, here is the choice of my locally available newspaper front pages:
Only the Chicago Tribune managed to squeeze the story onto Page One.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Mr. Berge,
    I just discovered your blog 2 hours ago - and spent these hours online to find wonderful historic cartoons which I have never seen before. Congratulations for this great, great site!
    As I do some cartoon research and publish myself (and also own a considerable private archive on the other side of the Atlantic) I wonder what your sources are...? Yours, Ulrich Schnakenberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herr Schnakenberg: Thank you! I find many of the German cartoons at the University of Heidelberg site, simplicissimus.info, and others. For some of the American cartoons, there is fultonhistory.com, Google Books' archive of Cartoons Magazine, and the Google newspaper archives, for starters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think your site is one of the best blogs on (historical) cartoons. Great. I can send you PDFs of some of my cartoon books if you contact me via email:
      https://www.amazon.de/Ulrich-Schnakenberg/e/B00MD6A9IC
      email: https://www.uni-due.de/geschichte/lehrbeauftragte.php

      Delete