Monday, October 7, 2024

This Week's Sneak Peek

I just got back yesterday from this year's combined convention of the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists and the Association of Canadian Cartoonists.

It was a good meeting, aside from getting lost on the first day walking from the hotel to the Musée McCord-Stewart Museum because I read the map upside-down. I did stumble upon the gay district of Rue Ste. Catherine; by then, I was relying on Google Maps to get me headed back in the right direction. But because Google Maps thought I was driving, the app kept insisting that I turn off in the wrong direction just to get off the pedestrian mall.

It didn't like me walking against traffic on one-way streets, either, repeatedly demanding that I turn right and right two more times even though my destination was ahead and to the left.

Detail from "Some of the Strange Gods Worshipped in Johnny Canuck's Temple of Fame" by Charles W. Jefferies in The Moon, Montréal, Aug. 9, 1902

Well, I'm sure that I will find something else to say about the convention, if only to post a review of the book I bought at the Musée once I've finished reading it.

And to thank Christian Vachon, curator of the Musée and 1er recipient of the ACC's Golden Gable Award, for sending a link to the McClord-Stewart and further information about Saturday's Graphical History Tour subject, Arthur G. Racey. (Did you know that it was a Canadian who, Vachon convincingly argues, invented the cartoon characterization of Uncle Sam?)

My trip home started with a red-eye flight from Montréal to Toronto, so by the time I renewed acquaintance with my better half, unpacked, had an overdue meal, and sat down at my drawing board, I was falling asleep.

Come back in a few days to see what a mess I made of this week's cartoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment