Monday, November 20, 2023

This Week's Sneak Peek


Surely you didn't think I would pass up this story, did you?

I had a brief argument with someone on counter.social last week about cartoons, caricature, and racist stereotypes. (It might have been a longer conversation if my phone hadn't forgotten my counter.social password; counter.social seems to think that the password I have written down is wrong. I'm fine until my desktop computer forgets the password, too.)

We were talking past each other, anyway. The other person seemed to be arguing that all caricature deserves condemnation. Which is fine if you're a cartoonist who merely adds a Photoshop filter to a photograph and calls it a cartoon.

Meanwhile, Newsweek gave Michael Ramirez a column to talk about his spiked cartoon this week, and accompanied it with a sampling of his caricatures, so readers can decide for themselves whether there is anything exceptional about his caricature of Ghazi Hamad.

No comments:

Post a Comment