Sunday, October 15, 2023

Revising and Extending Yesterday's Postscript

My P.S. yesterday about attending the annual convention of the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists and Association of Canadian Cartoonists went on a bit longer than I had thought it would; but one thing I neglected to do was to link to the "others [who] have said just about anything I had in mind, and said it better than I would have."

So first of all, here's a link to Mike Peterson's report at Daily Cartoonist, and D.D. Degg's daily coverage here, and here, and here.

And here's the account Graeme MacKay posted today from his Canadian perspective.

And Guy Badeaux on being one of the awardees of this year's Townsie.

I'll come back and add any more as I find them.

A couple of personal notes: I took half a gazillion photos at the convention to share with any of my colleagues who were interested in them. I winnowed them down to about 150 on my Flickr page, and even further to three dozen on Facebook. I mostly used my good Nikon camera, but switched to my iPhone as Mike Peterson was accepting the Ink Bottle Awards for his Daily Cartoonist colleagues; I wouldn't have opportunity to upload the Nikon photos until Monday, and I figured the gang at the Daily Cartoonist would want a photo they could use before then.

AAEC President Jack Ohman and Mike Peterson

One of the Nikon photos was better.

My husband and I got to enjoy a side trip to Napa wine country on Friday of the convention with Graeme MacKay, Mike Sicilia, David G. Brown, Deb Milbrath and Wing Bruce, and Marci Brané and Sarah Alex of the Herb Block Foundation

I was so happy that we had the chance to make this tour. Chris and I make wine from juices as a family project every year, and I think we are justifiably proud of what we bottle. When my then-future-husband and I had visited San Francisco twenty years ago, Napa wine country was a planned highlight of that trip.

But it was very shortly after we had been in a motorcycle accident that left Chris badly injured (I was merely scathed), greatly hampering our enjoyment of any aspect of the vacation.

In most of our posed photos, Chris stands with his right arm, in a sling, hidden behind me.

This time around, I was the one standing in the back. Just a bit of carpal tunnel to complain of.

Sarah, Alex, David, Mike, Deb, Graeme, Wing, your humble scribbler, and Chris. David Brown's photo


No comments:

Post a Comment