Thursday, June 29, 2023

Q Toon: Come On Out Now

Having drawn three cartoons with LGBTQ+ Pride Month themes over the past four weeks, I decided to offer something for my client publications currently assembling their July issues.

Ed here represents all those dogs-in-the-manger who whine "Why isn't there a Straight Pride Month?" (or White History Month, or non-handicap parking spaces) and grouse about all the precious seconds they've lost waiting for "Para español, oprima dos" to be over.

The parades may be winding down, and any pride flags that have been flying over government buildings will soon be folded up for storage. But right-wing attacks on the LGBTQ+ community were going full bore well before June 1, and I have every expectation that they will continue unabated for months to come.

💻

Tech stuff: I decided to go with Epson after all. The rather pricey ET-8550 was the only independently recommended unit I could find that could scan a 9"x12" original (my bristol board will not flip around in a scanner feeder even if I were to trim it to the necessary 8"x12"), print in color, and hook up wirelessly. It takes up a bit more space than I would like, but not as much as a laser unit would.

Rather than those little ink cartridges that tended to gum our previous printer up, it uses those ink bottles you see Shaquille O'Neal hawking on TV, so that will take some getting used to. There are six colors to keep track of instead of four (a black for text, a black for photos, gray, magenta, cyan and yellow). Supposedly, the bottle ink lasts longer before drying up than the ink cartridges do; you just have to be more careful about spilling any.

I've already gotten a bit of magenta on one finger.

It looks fabulous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment