Friday, March 31, 2023

Edit

This is stuff that only people who really, really like viewing those Drawn In 60 Seconds videos some cartoonists publish of their drawing process.

I draw with pen and ink and don't stop to take pictures of myself every half minute or so, so I don't make videos like that. (Whoops, just lost those videophiles!) But sometimes I post the pencil sketches as Sneak Peeks on Monday. This Monday, I posted instead an edit I drew to be pasted onto this week's cartoon.

After I closed up shop Sunday night and went to bed, I decided I didn't like the mammoths' dialogue in the cartoon I had just finished drawing:


It had no oomph, and before I fell asleep, I thought of something I liked a little better than "Sneaky!" Fortunately, I remembered it when I woke up.

Back in the olden days, I would have had to paint some white-out over the "Sneaky" balloon, wait for it to dry, then carefully draw over it. (White-out tends to break apart under a quill pen. India ink on white-out, moreover, tends to bead together somewhat before drying.)

Now, it's scan, copy, paste, erase the new layer where the old layer needs to show through, merge layers, and voilá! The hardest part was getting the border from one layer to line up with the border of the other.

And wouldn't video of that have been fascinating?

No comments:

Post a Comment