Thursday, March 7, 2013

Da Q Toon: Illinois Equality

We had a little difficulty getting this week's cartoon out this week -- I sent it to the syndicate at the usual time on Monday morning, but apparently the Chinese or the Iranians or North Koreans hacked into the internet and turned my cartoon into a plea to send C!ali$ to the crown prince of Kenya or something. My editors left alarmed messages on our answering machine Tuesday afternoon, followed by urgent emails. Eventually, I got these messages and quickly sent the cartoon out again, hoping against hope that I was not too late. At any rate, as the deadline ticked down to 00:00:00, my original emails turned up deep in the recesses of the spam folder of their firewall program's File Not Found repository.

All this for a cartoon that presumes a news event that isn't scheduled to happen until Thursday, and then only if all goes well.

That's when the Illinois House of Representatives has been scheduled to vote on a marriage equality bill that has already been passed in the state Senate and which Governor Pat Quinn has promised to sign. Advocates have been optimistic about its passage, but we've already seen -- in Maryland in 2010 -- that you can't always count on state representatives to vote the way they led you to believe they would. As of Tuesday, the bill's sponsors were still counting supporters and considering postponing a vote another week or so.

I could find myself in the company of the Chicago Tribune's famous "Dewey Defeats Truman" headline, but here's my cartoon anyway:

And, in case you're wondering, I certainly did have the "Dewey Defeats Truman" headline in mind as I drew the cartoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment