My tribute to the great editorial cartoonist Pat Oliphant, who passed away a week ago, was posted here last year, so I didn't come up with another one for my latest Graphical History Tour.
Several of my colleagues who actually got to meet him have put out wonderful remembrances of him. I have no such story to tell; one of my greatest regrets in life is and will forever be that I missed the convention of the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists in Salt Lake City at which he was a featured presenter. (I had been hired for a wedding that weekend, and it turned out that all the couple wanted me for was to start and stop a fucking CD.)
Since today is the 57th anniversary of the first manned landing on the moon, here's a Pat Oliphant cartoon from the 1960's I came across in a 1972 civics textbook, America's Political System: People/Government/Policies by Woll and Binstock.
The book is peppered with several editorial cartoons in every chapter, brightening up a book that otherwise would be 790 pages of dry, gray text. What a pity that so few newspaper publishers see the value of illustrated commentary any more.
(Okay, so cutting out the cartoons would probably have reduced the textbook by ten to fifteen pages...)


No comments:
Post a Comment