Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Q Toon: AIDS at 30-Something


Q Syndicate✒Nov 26, 2014

My apologies for spoiling somebody's Thanksgiving appetite, but I decided to draw a cartoon for World AIDS Day (December 1) this week.

Which presented the challenge of How To Draw AIDS. For a cartoon marking the supposed 20th anniversary of the disease (or more precisely, of its diagnosis in the U.S.), I had drawn it as a skeleton; but that was a particularly unsatisfying personification. Any  deadly disease -- or terrorism, or freeway accidents or the Republican alternative to Obamacare -- can be depicted as a skeleton.

Instead, I decided to draw whatever the virus is actually supposed to look like, which is, apparently, a bucky-ball with polyps. And, I arbitrarily decided the other virus would be the poliovirus, at the risk of alarming someone out there who knows that I got their relative sizes wrong or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment