Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Q Toon: Just Like Obama

This week's cartoon was drawn a couple weeks ago in anticipation of my not being able to draw a cartoon this week. The inspiration comes from a talking point being repeated within the right-wing echo chamber, asking us gays and lesbians to respect their opposition to marriage equality because it took a while for President Obama to evolve to our point of view.

I can respect their opposition to marriage equality -- at least as far as I can respect the right of Catholic churches to refuse to marry divorcees or people who can't come up with a baptismal certificate. As far as I know, those policies have yet to affect any faith-based community assistance program's state or federal aid. I never fully supported the rights of 14-year-old first cousins to marry, but I never went so far as to devote millions of dollars to pass constitutional amendments around the country to make sure they all had to go to Alabama to get hitched.

As it happens, Delaware became the eleventh state to pass marriage equality into law this week, and similar laws are moving forward in Minnesota and Illinois. So hooray for evolution!

No comments:

Post a Comment