Monday, September 24, 2012

Week the of Peek Sneak

I have no particular reason for putting the words in the above headline backwards. Just bored with having the same headline for every other blog entry, I guess.

In other news, I decided to submit only two cartoons to Best Editorial Cartoons of the Year's 2013 edition, the deadline for which was this past weekend. They usually allow late submissions about the outcome of November elections. I don't believe I've ever taken advantage of that option -- the LGBT angle on presidential election results isn't often of general interest.

On the other hand, it wasn't the Charles Brooks-edited BECY but Daryl Cagle's rival The Best Political Cartoons of the Year that for 2005 included a Rob Rogers (Pittsburgh Post Gazette) cartoon that was the exact same idea that I drew in response to George W. Bush's reelection.

Here's mine:
Rogers's cartoon includes Dubya wielding a paddle bearing the words Iraq Mess, Lost Jobs, Tax Cuts, Deficits, Health Costs, Pollution and World Anger on it. I guarantee you that neither of us had seen the other's cartoon; we were both riffing on Dubya's frat boy past. Cagle calls these coincidental cartoons "kismets."

But I'm serving notice here and now that if any conservative cartoonist draws this idea to lament Barack Obama's reelection, it's plagiarism.

No comments:

Post a Comment