Thursday, August 26, 2010

Blanche Is Not Hungry Today


When my Better Half saw this cartoon, his first thought was that this was a reference to Streetcar Named Desire, so I guess I have to explain that Blanche is not Blanche DuBois. Or Blanche Devereaux. Blanche Lincoln, Blanche Calloway, or Blanche Barlow.

I had hoped that the eyebrows, the shoulders and the bird would help identify her as Blanche Hudson.

It doesn't help that the person on the left is an amalgamation of two completely different people and ends up looking like neither. I had tried sketching her with Ann Coulter's hair and Bette Davis' eyes, but I decided I needed to have Baby Jane Hudson's hair to have any hope of anyone recognizing the movie connection.

I suppose I needed to have her singing "I'm Writing a Letter to Reagan."

At any rate, the subject of the cartoon concerns the flap in right-wing circles over Ann Coulter's scheduled feature appearance at GOProud's "Homocon" conference, where she is billed as "the right wing Judy Garland."
"The publication of emails exchanged between Ann Coulter and the editor of anti-gay site WorldNetDaily regarding Coulter having been dropped as a keynote speaker at a WND event has sparked Coulter’s ire. The right-wing icon launched into WND editor Joseph Farah, calling him a "swine," and suggesting that the content of the fringe-right site is selected as a matter of publicity seeking.

"The roots of the disagreement between Coulter and the fringe news site began with Coulter accepting an invitation to speak at the first "Homocon," an event hosted by right-wing gay group GoProud. Once WND got wind of the upcoming appearance, they struck Coulter off their list of speakers for an event ["The Taking America Back National Conference"] scheduled to take place in Miami."

No comments:

Post a Comment